Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Once upon a time, I was what you might call a movie fanatic. A connoisseur of film. At least three times a week, I would get off work in the early afternoon and immediately run to the theater to watch a matinee. I saw everything: the good, the not-so-good and the monumentally bad. (Anyone else remember Loser? Head Over Heels? I didn't think so.) When I went back to school, I had to ease off my movie-watching habit and after Soren was born, I basically went cold turkey.

I didn't realize how much this had affected me until I was reading my latest issue of Entertainment Weekly (or, as we like to refer to it around my house, "The Bible"). In it there was a list of "The 25 Movies You Need to See Before Oscar Night." As I read the list, I realized that out of the 25 movies I had seen only three, and one of them was an animated movie that I had watched on DVD with Soren and his little cousins. I was completely horrified and immediately rushed out to see Revolutionary Road.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved Kate Winslet's performance and it was a well-written screenplay and a solid cast. But when you only get to see four movies a year, you want to be wowed, and frankly there was no "wow" to be found. Here's what I did love, though: instead of ignoring the fact that his two lead actors had starred together in the highest-grossing and arguably most romantic movie of all time, he played with it. He cast Kathy Bates. He filmed a racy scene inside a car and included a moment in which some one's hand slaps against the window. It was as if he was trying to say, "Look, this is what would have happened if Jack and Rose had both made it off the boat. This is what happens after the happily-ever-after." And that was devastating. Plus, Kate looked as stunning as ever, and that is always a good enough reason for me to see a movie.

Speaking of beautiful people, I finally figured out how to upload photos and so will now post a few of my darling little boy. (How's that for a segue?) Incidentally, he will be turning TWO YEARS OLD in less than a week. Seriously, where does the time go?











Oh, and one more thing: Amber, I believe that there was a typo in your post dated January 13th. You mistakenly wrote that you would be going on a New Kids on the Block cruise. Please correct this egregious error in judgment immediately.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Well, the thing is, I am comfortable expressing my love for Jordan Knight openly. If you have a problem with it, well, you have no one to blame but yourself. It was you after all who introduced me to them. Next, Soren (who really needs to be a Baby gap model) looks so much like you as a baby (you might want to warn him then that if that trend continues, the cuteness wears off-and even if you were here and you did punch me in the arm for that comment, it wouldn't hurt because you are a pansy). Also, I have yet to see that movie you speak of, but I heard it was good. Oh and I will be thinking of you as I sun myself on the cruise ship while Jordan fans me and feeds me grapes.

Amber said...

So I can't leave a comment on Scott's blog because for some reason it hates me. I wanted to say Happy Birthday to Soren. His fruit pizza looked delightful. The girls colored a birthday card for him, which will, in true Heide fashion, arrive a bit late.

More Than a Housefull!!!! said...

I was so excited to see your blog info on Amber's. She posted on mine...anyway. How are you?

Jessica